Smart home lighting is often the first step homeowners take on their home automation journey. You don’t have to get up to turn the light on or off these days. You can control your lighting with your phone even when you’re miles away.
While innovative light brands, such as Clipsal LED dimmers, usually have their iOS apps, using the Siri voice control feature to control your lights is simple and convenient. Here’s how to set it up:
Step 1: Connect Your Lights to the Home App
The first step is ensuring the lights’ connection to the home app.
1. Open the Home app
2. If you’re not starting there, go to the home tab
3. Now tap on the “Plus” sign on the app
4. Select Add Accessory
5. Use the camera on your iOS device to scan the eight-digit HomeKit code or QR code that came with the Clipsal LED dimmer lights and follow the on-screen instructions to add it to your network
Step2: Use Siri to Control the Lights
- Now that Siri is activated and your lights are part of the home app, you can control your lights with voice commands
- If you have coloured smart lights, you can ask Siri to set those lights to a specific shade
Step 3: Use Siri to Activate Smart Light Scenes
With Home and Shortcuts, you can use Siri to turn on multiple lights without asking them individually. Here is the tutorial:
- Open the Home app and make sure you are on the Home tab
- Click the Plus (+) sign
- Click Add Scene
- Now, you have the option to create a suggested scene or a custom scene. In this example, tap I’m home
- The scene will display all available accessories, including your smart lights. For this scene, she recommends turning on all available lights to 70 per cent brightness when you get home.
- Customize this field by deactivating the lights you do not want to be activated. To do this, click on the lights you wish the scene to ignore, and they will be greyed out.
- Next, adjust the brightness at which the individual lights will light up when the scene is activated
- Slide up and down to adjust the brightness
- Select the colour of the lights using one of the options below the slider
- Double tap on the pre-set option to open the colour customization screen
- On the next screen, tap the colour wheel to select a colour or use the Temperature tab to select a warm or cool shade of white
- Select Done to save your selection
- Once set, you will see the lights set and their pre-determined brightness levels
- Tap the button next to Include in Favourites to add it to the home tab, then tap Done to complete the scene
- Arrive Home is listed as a favourite scene on the main home screen—one tap to launch it
- Start Siri and say, “Run, I’m home.”
- Siri activates the scene, and you can enjoy the lighting
If you want to turn your home into a smart one and don’t know where to start, it is suggested to begin with a Clipsal 755PSMA4 smart light bulb. These bulbs plug into your existing fixtures like regular bulbs, and only you can control them from your phone.