The publishing industry has undergone a lot of changes in recent years. The rise of e-books and self-publishing platforms has made it easier for authors to get their work out into the world.
In 2023, we will see many more authors publishing their books and marketing them using various channels. The book marketing trends in 2023 will likely differ from what we saw in 2022 because technology evolves quickly. Authors should stay updated with these trends to make the most out of their book marketing efforts.
We need to keep an eye on how the publishing industry is changing, not just for authors but also for publishers who want to stay relevant in this rapidly changing environment.
Below we will be sharing publishing and book marketing trends that impact authors, 2022 Savvy Book Marketing‘s highlights, and our insights into the book marketing landscape in 2023.
Impact on Writing, Publishing, Distribution, and Marketing of Books
We observed significant advancements in the publishing business in 2022 will influence how writers approach writing, publishing, distribution, and selling their books and expertise in 2023.
- Large, established publishers are consolidating, making small publishers and self-publishing more relevant.
- While print books continue to be the most popular format, digital and audiobook sales are increasing.
- The popularity of audio and text summaries of nonfiction books is growing.
- Books that chronicle the tales of various characters are in high demand.
- Readers’ book selections are influenced by the proliferation of social media book groups (and famous influencers within them). The amount of book-related material available online is increasing at an alarming rate.
A Concentration on Our Clients, Media Contacts, Communities, and Team
These and other changes have influenced our authors in recent years. At Savvy Book Marketing, we have built flexibility into our structure and offerings to meet our client’s evolving needs. In 2022:
- We expanded our business and the expertise of our book publicists. Our experienced and creative PR team is always looking for innovative ways to market our clients and their skills.
- We serviced our clients and worked closely with our media contacts without interruption because of our long-standing dedication to a flexible work environment. We relocated to a new workplace location that promotes cooperation, brainstorming, and friendship among our office team members.
2023 Opportunities for Authors: Genres, Diversity, and Online Book Marketing
The publishing industry is changing rapidly. In the past, authors needed to find an agent and a traditional publisher in order to get their books published. Today, authors can self-publish their books and sell them on Amazon or other online retailers.
The publishing industry has also been evolving in the last few years with the rise of eBooks. In fact, the eBook market has grown by more than 20% over the past three years, so more people are reading digital books than ever before. This has led to a whole new world of opportunities for authors in terms of genres, diversity, and marketing their work online.
We anticipate a great year for the sector in 2023, with increased interest in issues such as health and wellness, diversity, sustainability and conservation, and politics. Continued paper shortages and print delays are anticipated to affect book pricing and pre-order deadlines. What else to look forward to in 2023:
- The wellness genre will expand as more readers focus on their physical, mental, and emotional health and well-being.
- Memoirs will uptick as many have taken time to reflect and write during the pandemic.
- Books written by academics, previously published or not, will migrate into the general interest market.
- Demand for books with diverse characters will remain high, especially in the Children’s and Young Adult categories.
- Social media (especially TikTok) will play an increasingly important role in book marketing and promotion, especially in the Young Adult category. Book influencers have amassed thousand (and sometimes millions) of loyal followers, and word-of-mouth recommendations are powerful sales drivers.
2023 Expected Book Marketing Trends
This section will explore some of the book marketing trends expected to come into play by 2023.
The first trend is the emergence of social media influencers. These influencers have a significant following on social media and can be leveraged for marketing purposes. They can help get the word out about your book by using their platform, and you don’t have to pay them anything.
The second trend is the increased use of video content. Videos are becoming more popular than ever before, so it’s important to include them in your marketing strategy for your book as well.
The third trend is that authors will need to be more tech-savvy when it comes to marketing their books and managing their online presence. This means they need to know how to use social media channels, create videos, and understand how search engine optimization works to get found online.
Finally, the authors will also need an understanding of data analytics to determine the most valuable marketing opportunities and how to take advantage of them.
Savvy Book Marketing has helped hundreds of authors publish, promote, and market their books. They have helped many authors get on the Bestsellers list and win prestigious awards. This company is perfect for the author who has decided to publish their book independently. They offer a number of publishing options, and with their consultation, they can tell you the best choice for your book.
Pros: Successful platform with over 10 years of experience in publishing and marketing books. Offers both traditional publishing, self-publishing, and collaborative works.