Heart disease refers to an extensive collection of issues that can affect the oxygen-pumping organ in your body. Coronary artery disease affecting the arteries in your heart is the most common one. But the best cardiology hospitals in Mumbai have the maximum number of treatment options for heart issues.
We can categorise heart diseases into the following:
● Coronary artery disease: Narrowing of the blood vessels inside the heart due to fatty deposits
● Arrhythmias: Abnormal heart rhythms
● Cardiomyopathy: Abnormal heart muscle
● Heart valve diseases
● Congenital heart defects: Heart problems you are born with
Let us now discuss the symptoms, causes, risk factors, and treatment options for the different heart diseases.
The symptoms of coronary artery disease can be the following:
● Chest pain, tightness, pressure, and discomfort
● Pain in the jaw, neck, back, throat, or upper belly
● Pain, weakness, coldness or numbness in the arms and legs
● Shortness of breath
The symptoms caused by arrhythmia include:
● Discomfort or pain in the chest
● Racing or slow heartbeat
● Shortness of breath
● Fluttering in the chest
● Fainting or near fainting
The symptoms of congenital heart diseases include:
● Blue or pale grey lips and skin
● Shortness of breath during feeding
● Poor weight gain
● Swelling in the belly area, legs, and around the eyes
The symptoms associated with cardiomyopathy include:
● Lightheadedness and fainting
● Shortness of breath even while at rest
● Swelling in the legs, feet, and ankle
● Irregular heartbeats feel like a rapid fluttering or pounding
The symptoms related to heart valve problems are as follows:
● Chest pain
● Shortness of breath
● Irregular breath
● Swollen ankles and feet
The causes of different heart diseases are as follows:
● Coronary artery disease: It occurs due to a muster of plaque in the arteries.
● Arrhythmias: It occurs due to various conditions, including coronary artery disease, heart valve disease, and cardiomyopathy. Diabetes, high blood pressure, and emotional stress also cause this heart problem.
● Congenital heart defects: They occur when the baby is developing in the womb. A month after conception, congenital heart defects can hamper blood flow to the heart.
● Cardiomyopathy: A person can suffer from dilated, hypertrophic, or restrictive cardiomyopathy. While dilated and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy are passed down through families, restrictive cardiomyopathy usually occurs due to amyloid buildup or connective tissue disorders.
● Heart valve diseases: Rheumatic fever, infections, and connective tissue disorders are the major causes of heart valve diseases.
Some risk factors associated with heart disease are as follows:
● Age: As people start growing older, the risk of narrow arteries and weak heart muscles increases.
● Sex: Men are more likely to develop heart issues. The risk of heart disease increases in women after they hit menopause.
● Smoking: Smoking is one of the major underlying causes of heart disease.
● Family history: Genetics also play a crucial role here. Someone with a family history of heart problems has more chance of developing it.
● Unhealthy diet: Your diet decides a lot about your health. Unhealthy eating habits may expose you to heart issues.
● Lifestyle diseases: Lifestyle diseases like diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol increase the risk of heart disease.
● Stress: Unrelieved stress often damages the arteries and increases the risk of other heart diseases.
● Lack of exercise: Leading a sedentary lifestyle is one of the major risk factors associated with a wide range of heart problems.
The treatment for heart diseases depends on the type and cause of heart damage. Some popular treatment options for heart disease are as follows:
● Medications: Medications are often offered to control the symptoms and complications of heart disease. The specific medication prescribed usually depends on the type of heart disease.
● Surgery: People with heart diseases often need surgical treatment to get better. The type of surgical procedure performed depends on the type of heart disease and the extent of the damage.
● Lifestyle changes: Apart from taking medications and undergoing surgery, heart patients also need to make some lifestyle changes. For instance, quitting smoking and eating a healthy diet are important measures. Moreover, regular exercise and alleviating stress are also important.
At Nanavati Max Hospital, you will receive treatment for serious heart complications because it’s one of the best cardiology hospitals in Mumbai. Once your heart problem gets diagnosed and your treatment starts, you can expect to recover soon. Remember that early diagnosis can mean speedier recovery.
Read More Health Blogs: