Mold can be one of the most dangerous health hazards in your home if you don’t take care of it quickly and correctly. The first step to proper mold cleanup is to identify the type of mold you have, where it’s located, and what made it appear in the first place. If you’re unsure about how to clean up mold, do not attempt to do so yourself; hire professionals who are trained in how to remove mold safely. Here are some general guidelines on how to do proper mold cleanup from the best Mold Removal Service in Cleveland OH.
What is Black Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that can grow in certain conditions, such as dark, moist, or wet areas. Some types of mold can produce allergens or irritants that pose health risks. For example, one type of mold can produce a toxin called mycotoxin that if absorbed into the body through skin contact or by breathing air containing this toxin could lead to flu-like symptoms.
Common Sources of Black Mold
One of the most common places where black mold grows is in our homes. Usually, you will find it in wet or damp areas such as near a leaking ceiling, beneath the kitchen sink, or near an air vent that never gets cleaned. Another common place for black mold is outside on rotting logs according to the best mold removal service in Cleveland OH that may be damp from a rainstorm.
Health Effects of Black Mold
Mold can affect anyone. Its growth is dependent on moisture. When mold is around, it causes allergic reactions in people and can lead to other respiratory problems like asthma. And, if you’re a pregnant woman or young child, the risks are greater since your immune system isn’t as strong as an adult’s. Plus, mold also may pose a risk for certain diseases such as sinusitis and others.
Diagnosing Water Damage
Water is a breeding ground for mold and can be the cause of a high level of dangerous toxins in the air. Molds release airborne spores into the environment, which can irritate your eyes, nose, throat, skin, or respiratory system. Some people are more susceptible to these toxins than others. Inhaling mold or getting it on your skin can lead to allergic reactions (such as hay fever) or respiratory infections such as asthma.
Preparing the Surface
Now that you’ve evaluated the surfaces, it’s time to properly clean them. Be sure to wipe down all surfaces with a clean, dry cloth, or use a mild bleach solution. To dispose of any cloth used during the cleanup, wash with bleach or place in a hot dryer for ten minutes. Now that you’ve evaluated the surfaces, it’s time to properly clean them. Be sure to wipe down all surfaces with a clean, dry cloth, or use a mild bleach solution.
Preparing Yourself for Cleanup – Mold Removal Service in Cleveland OH
First, you should find out if mold spores have invaded your home. You can do this by using a commercial test kit for spore testing, or by sending samples in for analysis. The next step is containment. Lock up the contaminated area before removing anything, so as not to spread the mold further throughout your home or office.
Disposing of the Materials
Materials for a mold cleanup should never be thrown in the trash can or flushed down the toilet because it can cause health problems. To dispose of anything from a mold cleanup, you’ll need paper towels, sealed plastic bags, dust masks (the same kind used for woodworking), gloves (optional), bleach-based household cleaner, water-resistant sealant, and last but not least – storage containers.
Post Removal Care
Do not immediately rip out insulation, as this will release mold spores into the air. Remove contaminated materials while they are damp or wet, as drying causes the spores to harden, which can result in long-term health effects. Always wear protective gear like masks and gloves when cleaning up mold infestations. When finished, remove all protective gear outside (or in an area with plenty of ventilation) so that you don’t bring any contamination back inside with you.